Playa del Rey translates to Beach of the King, which aptly describes this Westside Los Angelesneighborhood. Located along the coast of the Pacific Ocean, Playa del Rey is an upscale beach community known for its great schools, scenic parks, easy access to public transport and nearby urban amenities, and active waterfront lifestyle.
The area was originally intended to be a dredged harbor in Santa Monica Bay, but flooding in the late 1800s brought the project to a halt. The project’s remains have been converted into what is now Playa del Rey Lagoon, a popular regional park.
In the 1920s, the area was developed into a residential neighborhood known as Palisades del Rey, and was home to some of Hollywood’s top names like Cecil B. Demille and Charles Bickford. In the latter part of the decade, the development of Del Rey Hills and the relocation of Loyola University to nearby Westchester further spurred the community’s growth.
To the south of the neighborhood is Los Angeles Airport. The part of Playa del Rey adjacent to the airport was purchased by the city government to be used in the airport’s expansion and to protect residents from the facility’s noise. What used to be residential neighborhoods have since been converted into a protected habitat of the endangered El Segundo blue butterfly.
Playa del Rey Market Report
Overview - Last 30 days
©2017 CRMLS. All rights reserved. Some listings on this website are from CRMLS as of September 26, 2017 1:34 PM PT The information being provided is for consumers personal, non-commercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing.
Recreation, nightlife, shopping and dining in Playa del Rey
- The best way to explore Playa del Rey is by foot or bicycle. Everything is within walking or biking distance, including the beach, restaurants, shops and cafes.
- Playa del Rey Beach features volleyball courts and an extensive bike path. Across the beach is a grass park with a playground and basketball courts.
- From the beach, you can make your way by foot or bike to the marina in Marina del Rey. Along the way is The Stone Sentinels, an art-in-nature site featuring man-made towers made of rocks. You’re free to make your own tower here.
- Nature lovers will love Ballona Wetlands, which forms part of the neighborhood’s northeast border and ishome to a wide variety of wildlife. Historic Playa del Rey Lagoonis also well-known as the scenic habitat of waterfowl like Blue Herons and geese.
- Playa del Rey has become a foodie destination witha diverse assortment of restaurants and cafes, such as Del Rey Deli Co., Bacari PDR, Destini Café and ASAP Phorage. The Shack, Prince O’ Whales and Mo’s Place are among the neighborhood’s favorite watering places.
- Cozy shops sell surfing and skating gears, beach wear, beer and dairy products, wines, vegetables and more. Howe Mart, a convenience store on Pershing and Manchester Ave., is the neighborhood go-to place for basic needs.
Playa del Rey Luxury Homes and Real Estate
Homes in Playa del Rey are situated in sloping hills with great views of the ocean, the airport, and in some cases, the wetlands. With nearly even numbers of renters and homeowners, real estate in the neighborhood is a good mix of condos, apartments and single-family homes.
Many of the properties in Playa del Rey are historic homes built before 1939, with more built between 1940 and 1969. The part of the neighborhood closest to the beach is known as “The Jungle”, a name it got from the closely-built apartments and the thick overgrowth on sidewalks around the area.
Ranch and Mission Revival are popular architectural styles. There are also a number of new developments featuring modern and architecturally significant condominium buildings and single-family homes.
Among the most expensive real estate properties in Playa del Rey are luxurious waterfront homes commonly found in the famous thoroughfares of Vista del Mar, Pacific Avenue, Culver Place, West Manchester Avenue, Manitoba Street and others. These homes boast top-of-the-line features and amenities that include chef’s kitchens, entertainment rooms, large decks, swimming pools, spas and so much more.
Luxury condos and apartments are found in these prestigious addresses as well. Some of Playa del Rey’s well-known condo communities are:
- Villas Del Rey
- Cross Creek Village
- Pacific Club
- See Gate Village
- Beachport Village
- Manitoba West
- Playa Serena
- The Briarcliff
Villas Del Rey – This 288-condo complex features one to two-bedroom and two-bedroom-plus-den units with elegant features. Amenities include a swimming pool, tennis courts, a gym, spas and others.
Cross Creek Village – This picturesque community comprised of 532 units features such amenities as a health club, a club house, sports courts and two heated swimming pools.
Pacific Club – This luxury condo development offers units with stunning views of its open courtyards and two swimming pools. Some units come with ocean views. In addition to the pools, other amenities include spas, racquetball courts and a recreation building.
Sea Gate Village – With 220 condos and 42 townhomes, this exclusive community boasts lushly landscaped grounds and features various amenities, including tennis courts, swimming pools and spas.
Beachport Village – Featuring 142 condominiums and 28 townhomes, this residential complex offers spacious living spaces in the Cape Cod style, set amid verdantly landscaped grounds. It boasts two swimming pools, three spas and a recreation building.
Manitoba West – This highly-secure community is comprised of 120 condos and 67 townhomes with various amenities that include a swimming pool, tennis courts, a gym, spas and more.
Playa Serena – Offering some of the largest condos and townhomes in Playa del Rey, Playa Serena spells luxury and convenience with such features as a recreation room, a gym and a swimming pool.
The Briarcliff – This condo complex was done in the mid-century modern style with a Palm Springs vibe. Featuring some of the largest condos in the Playa del Rey, it offers great views, a tranquil vibe and great central location close to the beach and shopping areas.